So your second Old Fashioned for 5 Quarantine Cocktails is the Home School Old Fashioned – a shout out to our hard-working teachers and all the family time my friends are getting working at home. For this cocktail, I was thinking of something a little crazy with nutella and crushed toasted nuts on the rim of the glass, a little kitschy but the kids would think that was fun, and they can help put the nuts on the outside of the glass. It’ll be a little project for the kids at 4 pm!
Many people have some chocolate liqueur and a nut liqueur at home. Along with orange, those seem to be the most common items in liquor cabinets besides main spirits and bitters. I wanted to keep most of the recipes to items that people might actually have at home in case a trip to the liquor store isn’t possible. So, add in a little nutella, some toasted nuts from the pantry and you’ve got a really dessert-ish old fashioned.
To make this into a fancy mocktail that the kids will enjoy, just substitute chocolate milk or their favorite chocolate beverage for the liqueur and let them lick the nutella off the glass.
For this particular recipe, I used my favorite nut liqueur, Rivulet pecan liqueur and one of my favorite chocolates, Ballotin chocolate whiskey. Both are pantry staples at my cocktail pantry, but even if you have creme de cacao and Frangelico you are set. Trader Vic’s Macademia nut liqueur is also a fantastic substitution here as well. There are so many ways you could go with this if you’re combining chocolate and nuts, it’s up to you what you have in your pantry.
I didn’t have pecans in the pantry so had to make do with crushed toasted almonds, so we’re all having to do substitutions we didn’t think we were.
Check out the previous Quarantine Old Fashioned:
Wakey Wakey Breakfast Old Fashioned
Home School Old Fashioned
- 1.5 oz bourbon
- ½ oz chocolate liqueur (I used Ballotin chocolate whiskey)
- ½ oz hazelnut or pecan liqueur (I used Rivulet pecan liqueur
- 2 dashes Chocolate bitters
- Garnish: a bit of nutella, crushed toasted nuts, some chocolate shavings
- Prepare the old fashioned glass by putting a healthy swipe of nutella on the outside rim of the glass, then crush the toasted nuts and add them to the outside of the rim. Combine the bourbon, chocolate liqueur, nut liqueur, and bitters in a mixing glass and add ice. Stir until well-chilled. Strain into the prepared glass filled with ice. Make sure to give the kids the non-alcoholic one.